Thursday, August 25, 2011

4 years..... and counting

4 years ago today my oldest son took his very last chemo pill. I'd like to say that on that day everything changed and all was right with the world. However, that wasn't the case. Cancer was still an ever present word in our house. It was typically followed by the word SURVIVOR, but the word cancer was still mentioned often. Teachers, doctors, and new people we met still had to be notified of his history. He still had to get regular check-ups with the oncologist, take antibiotics twice a day (to prevent infections because his blood counts weren't "normal"),  and the fear of the cancer returning always loomed no matter how much I tried to deny it. But now, FOUR years later, I can honestly say that my 10-year-old lives a very "normal" ten-year-old kind of life. *I* of course still think he stands out and is above average in every sort of way, but for all extensive purposes- he's very much like every other kid his age. The word cancer doesn't often come up around here unless we are trying to raise awareness or fundraise for some great cause. We see a regular pediatrician very irregularly. He even stopped taking the Singulair he'd been taking for allergies for years because he doesn't seem to need it anymore. My kid who took more medicines than I could count for so many years is now just taking 2 vitamins a day. Gummy vitamins to be exact. We were supposed to see his oncologist a few days ago, but I re-scheduled the appointment. I don't recall a time when anything was much more important than making those appointments, but this year the first day of school took precedent. We can get our check-up next week. I am so proud to say that B's cancer diagnosis is a thing of the past. Something to remember, to be mindful of, and to celebrate (the survivorship part), but on our own time- when we choose to do so.

And I choose now. I am SO THANKFUL for the blessing of my son's health. For the health of his little brother and sister.
For our very imperfect lives-- that are just perfect to us.

To celebrate B's cancer journey and 4th OT (off treatment) anniversary a VERY special friend made a quilt from all of his t-shirts I saved throughout the years. I had been hoping to have one made someday, but hadn't found the right person I trusted with such a "job." This quilt is such a blessing to us and we are so thankful for the sweet friend who made it.
Thank you, Connie, from the bottom of our hearts. We will treasure it for a lifetime I'm sure.

Please enjoy the pictures of my munchkin- so very proud of his quilt and all the memories it holds.
I can't wait to post pictures in another 4 years....






51 comments:

  1. How could I not have signed in here yet? Can't believe it's been 4 years already! What a day of celebration! And I LOVE the quilt! I love quilts. They are just so amazing! You can wrap up in them and just feel the love...
    Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 139:7-10 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw the new pic of "Lucky"! MORE PICS PLEASE! She's beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifting up prayers right now.
    Psalms 37:39-40 But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble. And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying hard right now!
    Psalms 130:5-7 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning. Let [us] hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always lifting up prayers!
    Psalms 73:25-26 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still here praying in Seattle!
    Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always lifting up prayer!
    Psalms 40:5, 11, 13 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. (11) Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. (13) Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know that I'm still here praying for your family!
    2 Samuel 22:29-33 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was thrilled to be able to walk in honor of Brendon today! Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Psalms 31:1-3 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am so blessed to be able to pray for your family!
    Psalms 31:14-16 But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying right now!
    Psalms 86:15-16 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always amazing to know that the Holy Spirit Himself is praying for you!
    Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Chronological Bibles Job is the first book. The promise of the resurrection was given from the beginning! What comfort these words give! Praying!
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  14. These verses contain the reason why we have the hope of life to come. Know that I'm here praying so hard!
    Ephesians 1:17-20 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places...
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 69:1-3, 13 Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God...But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  16. Know that I'm praying!
    Psalms 118:14-16 The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation. The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly. The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping by to let you know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 91:1-2, 4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Lord is working, even during trying times! Praying!
    Romans 5:3-5 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 62:5-6 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praying!
    Lamentations 3:21-25 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still praying hard in Seattle!
    Psalms 34:4, 6-7 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. (6-7) This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lifting up prayers right now!
    Psalms 20:5-7 We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 32:6-7 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  24. These words are always so very comforting to me! Praying!
    John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw! No update even for Christmas!
    The Lord will always be there to get you through whatever you have to face. Praying!
    2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wanted to share these comforting words with you! Know that I'm always praying!
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  27. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  28. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Psalms 119:49-50 Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  29. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you're having a great day!
    Always lifting up prayer!
    Romans 5:4-6 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  30. Praying right now!
    Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  31. Know that the Lord is always with you, wrapping His loving arms around you and holding on tight! Praying right now!
    Psalms 18:2-6 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  32. Continuing to pray!!!!
    Psalms 46:7, 10-11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.(10-11) Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  33. So thankful for the assurance we have in Christ! Praying!
    1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stopping by to let you know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 91:1-2, 4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lifting up prayers right now!
    Psalms 28:8-9 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Psalms 63:5-8 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Paul's sentences can be really long at times...didn't want to split this one up. Know that I'm here praying!
    Ephesians 3:14-21 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  38. Know that I'm always here praying!
    Romans 8:35, 37-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?...Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  39. Our hope is in the Lord! Praying!
    Romans 15:4, 13 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (13) Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  40. Always here praying!
    Psalms 121:5-8 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  41. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Lamentations 3:21-25 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  42. This hymn has so much meaning...and gives so much hope. Praying hard!

    3. There at my Savior's side
    Heav'n is my home;
    I shall be glorified,
    Heav'n is my home;
    There are the good and blest,
    Those I love most and best;
    And there I, too, shall rest,
    Heav'n is my home.

    4. Therefore I murmur not,
    Heav'n is my home;
    Whate'er my earthly lot,
    Heav'n is my home;
    And I shall surely stand
    There at my Lord's right hand.
    Heav'n is my fatherland,
    Heav'n is my home.
    The Lutheran Hymnal, Hymn 660

    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  43. Know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! Look to the Lord for all things!
    Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  44. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 73:23-26 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  45. Do you read these?!
    We have hope because of all Christ went through! Praying for you right now!!!
    Isaiah 53:7-10: He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  46. Stopping by to let you know that I'm always here praying!
    Jeremiah 17:7-8 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  47. Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Isaiah 41:10, 13 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. (13) For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  48. Praying!
    Psalms 27:13-14: I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  49. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Psalms 71:1-3 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion. Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me. Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  50. You ever coming back here?!
    Praying right now.
    Psalms 9:9-10 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gonna hit 100 entries without a response soon...
    Praying!
    Hebrews 6:17-20 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete